A helmet is one of the essential protective gear to have when engaging in skateboarding. Statistics show that a good helmet will reduce the chances of head injury in an accident by about 88%!
Thus, it’s pivotal to get the best skateboard helmet that can fully protect you in case of an emergency.
So, in this post, we will take you through the importance of a helmet, give you great options to choose and introduce you with the best stuff in market. And the buying guide at the end that will help you make an informed choice.
Also Read : Best Beginner Skateboard 2021
Why Should You Wear a Helmet Skateboarding?
Sad to say, some skateboarders do not wear helmets because they can be uncomfortable, hot, or simply look ‘uncool !Others rebel because they claim to ‘know how to fall’ without causing injury.
However, you will find that the benefits of wearing a helmet far outweigh any momentary discomfort you may endure.
Here are solid reasons why a helmet is necessary when skateboarding either normal or electric:
- It Minimizes chances of severe head injury
- Lessens time needed to recover after a severe fall
- Reduces the likelihood of ending up in hospital after an accident
- Increases skateboarder’s visibility to drivers especially if the color is bright
A mere glance at those reasons will tell you that a helmet is an investment that could save your life. We have compiled a list of some high-quality skateboarding helmets. Find one that looks and feel good, and keeps you well protected!
List Of Best Skateboard Helmet in 2021
|Razor V-17 Youth Muli-Sport Helmet, Gloss Blue||From Amazon|
|Retrospec cm-1 Bicycle/Skateboard Helmet for Adult CPSC Certified Commuter, Bike, Skate||From Amazon|
|JBM international EPS foam Impact resistance & Ventilation Skateboard Helmet for Multi-sports, Small – Black||From Amazon|
|Triple Eight Dual Certified Bike and Skateboard Helmet, Black Glossy, X-Small / Small (3046)||From Amazon|
|Flybar Dual Certified CPSC Multi Sport Kids and Adult Bike And Skateboard Adjustable Dial Helmet, M-L, Flyscraper||From Amazon|
|Triple 8 Downhill Racer Helmet (White Gloss, Large/X-Large)||From Amazon|
Detailed Review On Cool Skate Helmets
This incredibly cool skate helmet delivers on style without compromising quality. Its great-looking, glossy bright colors make it look undoubtedly sleek. The ergonomic padding and extra sizing pad inside the helmet ensure the helmet is both comfortable and a perfect fit.
- Cutting-edge youth safety helmet for biking, skating, and more
- Ergonomic interior padding is comfortable and secure
- 17 top and side vents help rider keep a cool head on hot days
- Side release buckles adjust and fasten quickly; sleek black gloss color
- Fits head sizes 22-23.5 inches; for ages 8 to 14; complies with CPSC standards
The Razor V helmet also has lightweight foam that effectively protects and straps you can adjust to your liking. The secure buckle ensures the helmet never drops off even when you are incredibly active. It has a clip buckle that a child can clip and unclip without assistance.
You never have to worry about overheating on hot days as it has 17 vents optimized to keep you cool. The ventilation system takes air through the front vents and expels it through the top and back vents. Its shape makes one of the best skateboard helmets for skateboarders with oval-shaped heads.
The fact that it complies with CPSC standards should put any safety concerns you may have at bay.
Overall, this helmet serves its purpose and will make you highly satisfied.
- Perfect fit
- Generous ergonomic padding
- High quality
- Variety of colors
- Adjustable side straps
- CPSC compliant
- Optimized vents for cooling
- Secure buckle
- No fit adjustment cranks
- Not crafted for all head shapes.
No doubt, when picking a helmet, safety is your primary concern. You can trust the Retrospec CM-1 Classic Helmet to protect you even in the most fatal of accidents. Its CPSC certification guarantees that it is not only safe for skating but biking and skiing too.
The hard ABS outer shell gives you maximum protection on the outside in the event of an impact. On the inside, the EPS foam ensures you have maximum shock absorption making injury highly unlikely. Also, the interchangeable pads are adjustable to giving your helmet the perfect fit so it will not fall off.
Along with your safety, the Retrospec Helmet manufacturers prioritize your comfort too. This well-ventilated helmet has ten vents ensuring you remain relaxed and cozy all day. The DEWcollector inside the helmet is non-stink and drains away sweat and bacteria to add to your comfort.
- Keeps you dry
- Superior Quality
- Variety of sizes
- Maximizes safety
- US CPSC certified
- Comes with extra padding
- It’s a little too bulky
- Slightly more substantial than other brands
- Not very attractive when worn
The JBM Skateboard Helmet is your finest bet if you are looking for a safe, impact-resistant helmet for a child.
- MULTI-SPORTING GEAR: These Kids / Child Bike Helmets are flexible and suitable for Multi-sports activities, include cycling, skateboarding, scootering, inline & roller skating. These helmets would be the essential protective gear for any outdoor sports-lovers.
- Size Chart : Small: 18.1’’-19.7, Medium: 19.7’’-22.8'', Large: 20.9’’-23.2''. These Cycling helmets come with an adjustable strap which make it flexible to fit the size of Adult. The flexibility of the strap make it a unisex product and would fit both well for both boys and girls.
- IMPACT Resistance:These bike helmets are specially designed for Kids / Child Multi-sports Head protection. The material use is tough and durable PVC & PC, EPS foam which would help absorb the impact and protect the head during impact.
- VENTILATION: Use of multiple vents, special aerodynamic design and breathable foam to reduce sweating and keep staying cool. It also reduces the high body temperature caused by intense body movements.
- Package included:1 x Helmet
It is tailor-made for multi-sport activities, so your young one is safe no matter what they do. The top-quality hard shell and PVC & PC and EPS interior protects the head and absorbs any direct impact.
This helmet is CPSC ASTM certified, making it one of the safest helmets around. Its aerodynamic design enables air to circulate freely in the helmet lowering temperatures and keeping it cool. The EPS form found inside the helmet helps minimize perspiration when skateboarding on a hot day.
The helmet comes in three sizes so you can pick the best fit. The adjustable strap and side buckle help make the helmet even more comfortable, and it can also fit an adult. This is one of the best helmets for kids skateboarders!
- CPSC and ASTM certified
- Very much affordable
- Shock absorption function
- Adjustable strap and side buckle
- Extra hard shell
- Minimizes perspiration
- Perfect for most outdoor sports
- 1-year warranty
- The adjustable knob is fragile
- Inner straps may detach on impact.
This classic, fashionable, unisex helmet with an ABS shell exterior is one of the best skateboarding helmets. What makes it great is it not only keeps you protected; it looks good too. Better yet, comes in all sizes, making it suitable for both adult skateboarder and kids.
- Polystyrene Liner
- Triple Eight Customized Logo Rivets
- Ideal for biking, skateboarding, long boarding, inline skating (roller blading), and roller skating
- Complies with U.S. CPSC Safety Standard for Bicycle Helmets for Persons Age 5 and Older
- ASTM F-1492-08 Safety Standards for skateboarding and trick roller skating
Its sweat saver liner is moisture-wicking, preventing perspiration from running down your face even at the height of activity. You will not have nasty smells coming from it, as its anti-bacterial properties making it stink-free. A hook and loop tape attaches the liner to the helmet, so detaching it for cleaning is easy.
The adjustable chinstrap is an added advantage as it permits you to secure the helmet, as you desire.
If you are looking for girl skateboard helmets, Triple eight has a color range that makes it a great choice. Other than skateboarding, you can use the Triple Eight Helmet for roller-skating and roller derby and biking.
- Moisture-wicking liner
- Stink free
- Wide range of colors
- Great fit
- Super stylish
- Easy to clean
- Adjustable chinstrap
- Not for advanced skate use
- No crush-able form of expanded polystyrene
- Is not CPSC certified
If you are in a hunt for the best helmet for skateboarding, this might be just what you need. The Flybar skateboard helmet has a unique, fantastic design with nine different colors to choose from. Most of the colors are bright, making you visible to any motorists when skateboarding keeping you safe.
- Flybar Helmets are great for bicycling, BMX, roller and inline skating, aggressive/trick skateboarding, scooter, pogoing, and a number of other multi-sports activities
- STRONG ABS OUTER SHELL & EPS FOAM INNER LINING: Made of high-quality ABS shell, high-density EPS foam inner shell, the Flybar Helmet protects you from potentially harmful impact while engaging in sports
- 9 DIFFERENT COLORS AND DESIGNS: Whether you want a cool printed design or a simple solid matte color, every helmet offers the same trustworthy protection to keep both kids and adults safe during multi-sports activities. 12 wide stylish vents on each Flybar Helmet provide even air flow to keep cool during active sports sessions
- AVAILABLE IN 3 SIZES: S/M (53-55cm/20.8-21.6in); M/L (55-58cm/21.6-22.8in); L/XL (58-61cm/22.8-24in). For a perfect fit, measure the circumference of your head starting in the middle of your forehead to ensure you choose the correct size
- ADJUSTABLE FIT: The Flybar Helmets feature an adjustable spin dial on the back of the helmet to ensure a perfect and safe fit
Its 12 vents promote good air circulation, ensuring the helmet stays well ventilated throughout your ride. This minimizes perspiration and nasty smell build-ups. The well-designed vents also look good and enhance the helmet’s design.
Its CPSC certification assures you of its high safety standards. And the ABS is strong, and hard exterior gives you much-needed impact protection. It has a black EPS foam interior and form inserts, making the helmet light and more shock absorbent.
Furthermore, the chinstrap is padded, and the straps are adjustable, making it comfortable and secure. Using the dial on the back of the helmet, you can simply adjust until you have the perfect fit. The Flybar Skateboard helmet is suitable for any rough or trick outdoor sports like skateboarding, bicycling, and longboarding. And its style and design is suitable for young skateboarders whether they are riding to college or just roaming suburb.
- Safe for all outdoor sports
- Very affordable
- High quality
- Padded chinstrap
- Three different sizes
- Maximum shock absorption
- Adjustable dial
- Well ventilated
- CPSC and ASTM certified
- Padded comfortably
- Straps may loosen with time.
Whether you enjoy downhill racing or are an adrenalin junkie who loves speeding, this is the best skate helmet. It is CPSC 1203, and ASTM F1952 downhill racing certifications make it unquestionably safe for outdoor fast sports. It has a full face mask ensuring total head protection in the event of an accident.
- Meets CPSC 1203 bike and ASTM F1952 downhill mountain bike racing standards
- Hand-laid fiberglass shell & Shatter-resistant flip-up visor
- Aerodynamic styling to limit wind resistance
- EPS foam liner with velvet lining
- Each helmet comes with an extra fit pad insert to customize fit
This white, unisex adult helmet has a hand-laid fiberglass shell unlikely to cave in on impact. Its flip-up visor is shatter-resistant, so you can count on it to hold up when crashed. It also comes with an aerodynamic design that minimizes wind resistance as much as possible.
The EPS lining with a velvet liner looks great and is essential for shock absorption and comfort. To perfect its fit, the helmet has an extra fit pad insert you use when necessary. The Triple Eight Helmet is also very durable, making it a worthy investment.
While it looks like most biking helmets, it is considerably smaller and lighter. If you are not used to full shell helmets, you may feel uncomfortable when you first put it on. The feeling will subside with time, and you can skate freely assured that you will spend more time skateboarding than healing!
- Great design
- Not bulky
- Well padded
- Full head protection
- CPSC 1203 certified
- ASTM F1952 certified
- It is a customized fit
- Minimal wind resistance
- Poor ventilation when the visor is down
- Visor does not ratchet
- Fogs in cool weather
Are you still skeptical about which one is the best skateboard helmet for you?
Allow us to guide you through some factors to consider before making a purchase. Pay close attention to each aspect is as it will save you time, money, and help you make the right choice.
Safety laws keep you safe when skateboarding and are different in every country or state. Thus, it is wise to familiarize yourself with the rules in your state before choosing a helmet. Examples of safety laws are-
- An imposed age limit in which wearing a skateboard helmet is mandatory. For instance, children below 18 may have to wear CPSC-certified helmets when skateboarding.
- A total ban of helmets that do not meet CPSC standards Section 890.4 of the Highway Code in California prevents the importation of skateboards that are not CPSC compliant.
Generally, to obtain CPSC certification, a helmet must pass principles penned down by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). This assures the consumer of its ability to perform as expected in the event of an accident. That is why the safety laws in most states revolve around CPSC certification.
Penalties for not conforming to safety laws are fines, which differ from the nature of misdemeanor. It also depends on how often the law has been broken and the extent of damage (if any).
Measuring Head for Skateboard Helmet Size
Getting your helmet size right is crucial for your or your child’s safety. A big helmet may slip off and abandon you in the worst moments, causing blackouts, injury, or even death. One that is too small may cause discomfort, headaches, and even cerebral injury.
In this age dominated by online shopping, getting the size right the first time is crucial to avoid unnecessary inconveniences. To get the optimal helmet size, simply follow the steps outlined below.
- Get flexible tape, preferably a tailor’s tape measure, and position it on the head. Place it approximately an inch above the eyebrows. This will ensure that your helmet rests low on the forehead as it should.
- Ensure that the tape goes past your forehead center and is level right around your head. The tape should just tough your head comfortably and not be too tight.
- Carefully read and immediately record the measurement on the tape.
i) In the absence of a flexible tape, go through the same process using a string. Then, place it against a ruler to get the measurement.
ii) Measure the inside of a current hat or helmet if:
- You are unable to measure yourself
- The helmet is for gifting purposes.
You may want to repeat the process at least twice to make sure you do not make a mistake. After measuring your head, you can refer to the sizing charts for the specific brand of helmet you want. Never use a predetermined size to purchase sizing charts that are unique to each brand.
Naturally, when skateboarding, your body heats up, and you will sweat. For you to be comfortable, your helmet needs a good ventilation system. This keeps your head cool and minimizes sweat running down your head and into your eyes.
A well-designed ventilation system also helps your helmet from building up a peculiar smell attributable to excessive sweat build up. Even worse, your head may begin to itch, increasing your discomfort. When this problem arises, it is especially challenging to make a child continue wearing the helmet.
Therefore, before purchase, check your helmet for air vents on its sides, top, and back. The more the vents, the cooler and more aerated the helmet is likely to be. Well-designed vents are an added advantage.
Note that a good ventilation system is not only for your comfort. The air vents allow you to hear surrounding noises. This will keep you aware of any dangers lurking in your surroundings as you are skateboarding.
This is an essential feature of your skateboard. The shell protects the head-on impact, so it should be made of hard, durable, and shatter-resistant material. Skateboarding helmets can be made of many different materials.
The typical shell materials include ABS plastic, Kevlar, Fibreglass, and Carbon fiber. These materials have different properties necessary to make robust and reliable helmets. I will give you a rundown of the features of a few of these materials.
Fiberglass is a generally inexpensive material that is easy to mold into the desired form. Helmets made from this material are hard and flexible on impact. This allows it to handle shock better than most materials, which is why fiberglass helmets are lightly padded and small.
Carbon Fibre is another strong and lightweight material used to make skateboarding helmets. A carbon fiber helmet easily deflects shock without breaking because of its high compression strength. And the combination of fiberglass with Kevlar makes an even more durable helmet.
ABS plastic is a blend of specific polymers and polybutadiene rubber. It is durable, rugged, and offers excellent protection against bumps and dents. Helmets made from this material a generally more affordable as this is inexpensive.
You don’t have to worry much about the shell material, though. As long as it complies with safety standards like the CPSC, it should be okay. Simply go for the one that suits your budget and style since they all offer the protection you need.
Padding is an essential part of every excellent skateboarding helmet. It provides comfort while skateboarding and is shock absorbent when subjected to impact. Protective padding also secures the helmet in place, preventing the helmet from shifting or falling off.
The best and most common helmet padding currently available is the double-layered type. The first layer is made of a tough EPS-form permanently secured to the outer shell and has no head contact. The second layer is much softer and connected to the first layer in a way that permits cleaning.
Not all helmets have a second padding layer that is substitutable. Some helmets have a permanent layer that is not changeable throughout their entire useful life. If you will use the same helmet for a long time, buy one with changeable padding for hygiene purposes.
Furthermore, a helmet with additional fit padding is a great choice. It helps you customize your helmet for a perfect fit. For increased comfort, opt for padding that is stink-free and wicks away any moisture.
However, the padding should not be too hot or stuffy. Also, it should not irritate your skin or become itchy when you put it on for the first time.
Straps and Retention
Because they play a minor role when contrasted with other safety features, straps, and retention systems are easy to overlook. This is unwise as they ensure that your head is well secured and comfortable. If, at any moment, they malfunction, it could put you in unnecessary danger.
To minimize problems, check the quality of the straps and retention before buying. Preferably, pick a helmet with thick and adjustable straps that give you room to adjust for a perfect fit. Padding on the chinstrap will also enable you to talk, eat, or drink freely with your helmet.
It is good to buy a helmet whose straps form a v-shape near the ears since they are more secure. After purchase, regularly check the straps for cracks or any other defects. As soon as the buckle or straps appear faulty or defective, get them fixed or replace the helmet altogether.
Let’s See All Features At Glance
|Skateboard Helmet||Size||Age||Vents||Best For|
|Razor||21.5- 23||8-14||10||Skate, Bike, Etc.|
|Retrospec CM-1||Small, Medium, Large||14+||8||Bike, Skate, Etc.|
|JBM Skateboard Helmet||Small, Medium, Large||3+||N/A||Skateboarding|
|Triple Eight||3 Standard Sized||5+||N/A||Skateboard, Bike|
|Flybar Helmet||Small to XL||6+mm||12||Skating|
|Triple Eight Skate Helmet||Large||Adults||N/A||Downhill Riding|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why don’t skateboarders wear helmets?
Can I use a bike helmet for skateboarding?
The importance of opting for the best helmet for skateboarding cannot be overemphasized. Though watching skateboarders roam the streets without helmets may tempt you to ditch yours, assuming you are safer. Rest assured that all the protective helmets listed in this article are worthy investments.
Take your time to select one out of these best skateboard helmets, and you will enjoy both comfort and protection for a long time. Have fun, and stay protected!
Also, pay attention to your board’s wheels. If you are riding in rough streets, choose good street skate wheels. Otherwise, you may fall out of the board because of wheels breaking.
Boards Rider publish skateboard, hoverboard & all types of boards related content. We want to help user and reader for this game.